Thursday 20 April 2006

Setting the Benchmark

If the Bumper Book of Pretentious Drivel ever comes to be compiled, surely the following example ought to be included:
“At numerous gigs around Wellington I played my drums and, under the lights, in the midst of sound, in the middle of rhythm, always in between one time or another, I theorized my relation to the drums, my becoming-rhythm, the abstract-machine of player, stick and skin, my self as purely a conduit for other phyla.”
Grayson Cooke, “Human – 1 / Cyborg – 0: A Personal History of a Human-Machine Relation”, Nebula, Vol. 3:1, April 2006. pp.19-20.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you provided the author's name because, just for a fleeting second of lunacy, I thought it might have been Gene Krupa!

http://www.drummerman.net/

dearieme said...

I prefer the English of the rhythm guitarist Eddie Condon. On the tone of Bix's cornet - "the sound came out like a girl saying yes."

dearieme said...

More Condon punishment: on music - “As it enters the ear, does it come in like broken glass or does it come in like honey?”


(P.S. Ain't Google wunnerful?)