Thursday 1 March 2007

A Flutter

“I do not believe in democracy,” wrote H.L. Mencken, “but I am perfectly willing to admit that it provides the only really amusing form of government ever endured by mankind.” [1] For the sake of amusement, and for possible financial gain, I am thinking of having a flutter on the race for the Labour leadership. It is not quite as enthralling as throwing money away on thoroughbred beasts made to jump over hurdles, though it bears some comparison.

[1] H.L. Mencken, Preface to A Mencken Chrestomathy, (New York: Vintage Books, 1983), p. viii.

4 comments:

dearieme said...

Inside tip: I know someone who plans a dramatic intervention.

Deogolwulf said...

You're more than welcome to supply a name and any other details.

Anonymous said...

I was raised to believe that democracy is the best form of government. Nietzsche's aristocratic, hieratic opposition shocked me. But, in thinking back on all of the elections in which I voted, I am starting to doubt my former belief. It seems that a candidate's affable, boyish grin has a greater influence on voters than strength of character or political wisdom.

Deogolwulf said...

Too true, Mr Ezzard.