Wednesday 30 January 2008

Rudolph the Valued Member of the Reindeer Community

“[I]nclusive school programming may allow children to perceive . . . reindeer such as Rudolph as a reindeer, not as a ‘red-nosed reindeer’.”

Susan Gately, “A Textual Deconstruction of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: Utilitarian, Mechanistic, and Static Constructions of Disability in Society and in SchoolsEssays in Philosophy, Vol. 9:1, January 2008, wherein we happily learn that “Rudolph eventually rejects the institutionalized notion that one with a red nose has no worth.”

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

sp?

Deogolwulf said...

eh?

Anonymous said...

"Raindeer"?

Deogolwulf said...

Tsk. Well spotted. If I earned any money from this blog, I would have to pay you a small fee as editor. A small fee, mind.

Horace Jeffery Hodges said...

I always valued the climate-sensitive Rudolph, despite his leftist tendencies, for as I told my wife, "Rudolph the Red knows rain, dear."

Jeffery Hodges

* * *

Deogolwulf said...

Shocking, Prof. Hodges. It does remind me of the punchline of a old joke (too long and terrible to recount):

For Hans that do dishes is as soft as Gervais, with mild green, hairy-lip squid.

(Those who haven't seen the Fairy liquid advert won't appreciate it.)

James Higham said...

What!

Anonymous said...

My charge is fifty guineas. Or tuppence to you, Squire.